Councillors give their time unpaid and are tasked with representing the views of the Parish. The day-to-day running of the Parish is the responsibility of the Parish Clerk, Jocelyn Cay, who works for the Council on a part time basis. Jocelyn is the Parish’s only employee.
A list of the Parish Council’s responsibilities is given below. The Parish Council will take up issues with the County and District Councils where parishioners feel their concerns are not being addressed, but common issues such as highways and Education are the responsibility of Buckinghamshire County Council and likewise Planning is the responsibility of Wycombe District Council.
Monthly Council Meetings
The Parish Council meets on the first Thursday of each month at 7.30pm except when there is a clash with public holidays or elections. The location alternates between Bledlow Village Hall and Bledlow Ridge Village Hall. Members of the public are welcome to attend.
Annual Parish Meeting
This is called by the Chairman and usually takes place in May to coincide with the Annual Parish Council Meeting.
The Chairman presents his or her report on council business for the past year and invites representatives from other bodies to address the residents on their own activities should they so wish. Residents of the Parish are invited to comment.
Annual Parish Council Meeting
This takes place in May and, in an election year, is the first meeting of the new council. In an election year all new members sign the declaration of acceptance which is followed by the election of the Chairman, Vice-Chair, Responsible Financial Officer, Internal Auditor, and those Councillors who will represent the council on outside bodies.
Responsibilities of the Parish Council
The responsibilities of Parish Councils vary from council to council and are changing following the Government’s localism initiative. The Bledlow-cum-Saunderton Parish Council manages the following reponsibilities:
- The upkeep of some footpaths and verges (this is changing under ‘localism’).
- Provision of bus shelters .
- The provision of litter-bins and dog fouling bins.
- Both village halls are established charities, the Parish Council supports these with regular grants.
- The Parish Council supports both the Bledlow Ridge and Bledlow playgrounds with grants.
- The Parish Council is a statutory consultee on Highways – parking places, new roads and road widening.
- The Parish Council is a statutory consultee on any planning applications for the area. Any comments submitted to Wycombe District Council, the planning authority, by the parish council must be taken into account.
- The upkeep of Holy Trinity churchyard as it is ‘closed’ having no space for any more graves.
- The Parish Council is not a lighting authority as it supports a dark skies policy.